SBS Show #23 – SLA’s and Business Management

SBS Show

SBS Show #23 with Karl Palachuk covers the world of Service Level Agreements and a whole lot more. We talk to Karl about the importance of documentation, ways to build and manage a business, community involvement as well as many tips, tricks and ways to do it all. We talk at great length about Karl’s new book “Service Agreements for SMB Consultants – A Quick-Start Guide To Managed Services” and whats actually in it. We try to dispell some myths in the SMB IT, ask Karl about the community and the concept of paying it forward but most of all we just rave about his book and discuss what value an SMB owner can realize from a properly documented business.

Additional Resources: Karl’s Book Karl’s Blog

Download the SBS Show #23:

47 Responses to SBS Show #23 – SLA’s and Business Management

1. KScriber says:

Omg, it’s like seeing a ghost!!! Welcome back SBS Show!

2. AdamK says:

Downloading… streaming…

You’ve really made us wait a long time for this one. I hope it was not related to “When is the next show going to be out” posts. Speaking of which are you sure you want to keep comments open for this?

3. Amea says:

About the damn time! wb SBS Show!

4. Pete Gusthao says:

Welcome back to my iPod! By the way you need to push your iTunes to update the feed. I saw a post in RSS Bandit and went to see it in my iTunes but iTunes unsubscribed it. It said that because I have not listened to the show in a little while the store stopped updating it.

Also show #21 and #22 are missing.

5. Serena says:

6. Edgar J says:

Listening to it, so far so good. Sounds excellent too did you finally get a decent mic?

All I can say is that this was worth the wait.

7. Ellis says:

Listening to it right now, you guys didn’t skip a beat. It is awesome.

8. Nick says:

IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

You did a great job listening right now.

Thanks guys. Yeah, we did something different with sound this time around. It made quite a difference, who would have guessed it?

There is also a high quality encoding available right here if you want to check out the differences between the two audio qualities.

I’ve actually changed a bit how the show is put together and edited so that we can cut down the time in production and push these out a lot faster which probably means they will get pushed out every week.

Depending on what happens this week we might be doing these a lot more often. This kind of goes along with the changes I’m being forced to make with Vladville..

10. ArunJ says:

You are the best sir! Thank you for your effort. I will add to the above by saying that my iTunes also unsubscribed from it. Maybe you should update to let people know its out?

I have corrected the issue with #21 missing. Unfortunately I still build the XML file by hand (have not really found a better way that requires less data entry) which is contributing to the issue.

I attempted to make these changes earlier today but the SBS Show server was being pounded so hard that I could not type very well in the SSH session to make the required change to the xml file. Interesting that even though some have lost feeds the announcement is big enough to take the server down to its knees nearly immediately.

You are quite welcome. There are two problems here, one at which I hinted in the previous comment.

First issue is that the content is still managed through I started writing the post on after I had announced the podcast on my blog and updated the XML file. As a result the publishing didn’t take place as I had to shut down the sftp server to free up some resources.

I cannot confirm/deny/comment on the iTunes stopping the updates of your mp3 list. I tried it on my laptop and it sucked it right down. Same with Yahoo and podzinger and the Juicer. Is anybody else experiencing this?

As I said, we have gone quite a bit out of our way to make sure people know when we put up new content. We are fighting to get more and more stuff out as we happen to be really hot, specifically now that Chris is back and we can really kick some major ass.

We have a new mailing list that got setup to catch the people that listen to the show and then send them an email with our release. I am waiting a day or two till the traffic calms down a little before I send a notice to that list.

13. AlNail says:

About that list Vlad… I signed up for it but didn’t get an email. Is there any way to check if I am “in the system” so to speak?

14. AlNail says:

Wow that was one long ass infomercial for the book. Too salesy but I know you so this must be good. But you know what I trust your judgement and will check it out when it makes it through my SBS group.

It’s worth it. There are very few books that I think are this valuable to someone that is getting started or that wants to get organized.

Truth of the matter is that you can buy 5,000 page books on getting organized, read volumes about incorporating, eight books on legal forms – and guess what, all would be much better than what Karl has put together. Hands down.

Then the little thing like reality sets in and shows you that you don’t have the time to read 16 books – you can use the hints tips and tricks someone who has had to read all those books was able to consolidate to a well documented and executed business.

Which one would you buy?
    Which one would you be excited about reading?
    Which one can you read by the end of the week?

Look at that testimonial I read during the first few minutes of the show. Key words: “I will have a better business for it.” What more convincing and review could you possibly need?

16. Aaron Smith says:

Is it too early to say the best SBS Show ever!?

17. Erick says:

SBS Show is worse than crack. I have really been going through the random stages of denial as the SBS Show left my system and now you drop one not only with Karl but about managed services. You’re just trying to kill all my productivity leading up to SMB Nation, aren’t you? ๐Ÿ™‚

Listening right now..

18. Ramon says:

I gotta tell you Vlad you really made my night. You too Chris. Karl, everything Vlad has ever said about you is so true.

Thank you.

I really liked the new format. I think the whole conversational style really lends a lot more credibility to the show than Vlad asking stupid questions. Sometimes I hope Vlad could speak more because EVERYONE could benefit from his perspective.

For example: stopping the panic train in tracks when the subject rolled around to me possibly losing everything without an SLA. Instead of letting the fire burn Vlad stepped in the middle of it and squashed it with “these are the things you need to think about”

Which I think is the true value the SBS Show provides. It stimulates you to think. Think about your customers, think about your business, think about technology. There really is no other podcast in my mind when it comes to encouraging people to think and to evaluate.

I am sick and tired of being beaten and hit with advice.. “You need to, you must, you should, if you don’t the world will end..” I’d rather have someone motivate me.

Vlad & Chris did that tonight and I hope Karl does that for weeks to come as I’m getting that book in the morning.

Thank you gentlemen.

19. Gregbo says:

Hey Vlad I signed up for the mailing list but just found out about the new release from your blog. doesn’t even show #21 much less #23. What gives?

20. Paul Tunnis says:

Awesome show. Again and again you guys keep on one-uping yourselves for free. You really need to charge and track this show. Yes thousands of ears are great but cash in your pocket makes sure this show is around to serve the community forever.

Vlad already explained both your issues in these comments please go read them.

21. chris rue says:

hey ramon…

wow man. seriously, wow.

can’t tell you how much comments like yours mean to us, cuz that’s exactly what we hope sbs show does for folks who tune in.

thanks for posting that, man.
    made my week, fer sure.

22. CharlesM says:

I take a day off and the sbs show comes back, wow.

You are the smb media machine, king of all sbs media. With the numbers I am shocked Microsoft is still not sponsoring you

23. Aman Waheed says:

Hi Vlad,

Have you thought about making a little button to promote the SBS Show? I am not as social as you are but I get a lot of traffic on my web site and discussion board and it seems like I am telling someone new about the SBS Show every day.

Give me a button or something as I’d love to promote you in Egypt.

24. Shelia Day says:

The SBS Show is back!!! Going to listen to it today during work ๐Ÿ™‚ I call it my CPE, wonder if anybody else does this?

25. Celia says:

Guy in Orlando makes his techs listen to this while driving around. At the end of the week they have a discussion about it. Come to think of it, the same guy wrote the email review Vlad read at the beginning of this show.

Hi folks,

I was just mentioning this to Chris since the server was spiked almost all night:

cat | grep “sbsshow-episode23.mp3” | wc -l

In less than 24 hours weรขโ‚ฌโ„ขve clocked over 45K downloads. Despite being gone for nearly two months.

I won’t let you know what the rest of my comments included or what his response was but…………. wow.

We have never had this kind of first day opening, not to mention being gone for two months. I guess we’ll have to rename our friend to Karl “Cruise” Palachuk.

27. Phillip says:

Well, I’ll say it. This was worth the wait. The show sounds great, flows great, very entertaining from beginning to end.

Good job! Now just don’t go another month without producing one ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Catherine Altz says:

Just wanted to confirm the comments that the SBS Show site does not show the latest show. Itunes however shows them all.

Just FYI. Listening to the show right now.. at work ๐Ÿ™‚

29. Joanna says:

๐Ÿ™‚ I’m in the fan club! Excellent show. Loved the part about “hanging out naked” out there. I am not sure if thats a business management or marketing idea of Karl’s but I doubt it would work.

30. Ken says:

I’d love to promote your show too! Send me a button if you can I’ll stick it up there. You guys do phenomenal work.

31. Maya says:

First episode for me, I got sent here by a friend. You guys are awesome, I have added all episodes to my subscription.

I can’t believe this is free! Thank you so much.

32. Sarah says:

You did nicely without me ๐Ÿ˜‰ Awesome show.

33. Sean D. says:

Awesome episode I really liked all the talk about organizing. We need to do better here.

34. Scott McEngis says:

Ok, I’m sold. Great show, I really like this Carl fellow.

Now the problem. I went to order the book and I could not find it on Is the book already published or is this just a preorder?

I really hope so, I only trust big names with my credit card and the purchase form your site took me to does not inspire much confidence.

I really want the book, I was very entertained by the show.

35. call4pcfix says:

Excellent episode the sound difference is amazing. I guess you took my advice on the mic choice.

I guess this is the prelude to SBS Show going commercial, huh?

36. Lance says:

I can’t find it on Amazon either, what gives? Excellent show but if you’re going to be all over it at least give me a chance to get it too!

37. Leslie @ Compusure says:

Awesome show, I’ve been meaning to get the book since you showed it to us at the WPB SBS UG but have not had a chance. This show however put me over the edge.

38. Leslie @ Compusure says:

I was going to ad that you’re totally my concierge for all things SMB. If it’s not on Vladville it just doesn’t exist.

39. EricS says:

Awesome show! Best ever I think thats really the conversation coming through. We should be talking more about these matters and you guys are starting it.

Way to go!

40. Samson says:

Welcome back SBS Show!!! Very smooth show, you do remember how to ride this bike.

41. Slitt says:

Excellent show, really felt like a talk show. It was funny, it had info, it had a point. You guys did a good job.

As for riding the bike: it was very close to falling off. Vlad almost didn’t do the patented “if you could only do one thing…” pitch but saved it with “how long will it take me to do this?”

Great job!

42. Rafael Rodriguez says:

Caught about half the show last night in the gym. You have a very interesting perspective on this business but I have to ask if there are others in business that have really not thought about organizing themselves and if there are aren’t they the same people we always clean up behind? Is it a good idea to encourage them further, as per your many posts?

I’ll look on the bright side and consider this will motivate many to just organize and document but I must admit I was scratching my head as to who you were trying to talk to. Most of us have something in place though nobody is very happy with everything and most stuff can be done better.

Thanks for the thought. Excellent show!

43. Henry George says:

Really good show. I have not seen anybody that excited about a book in a long time.

44. Ed Hyer says:

wb SBS Show!

45. AlterdSol says:

Awesome show you guys are totally back.

46. Jason Williams says:

Downloaded last few shows. I have to say it is very interesting and dynamic, you certainly have a way of presenting this information in an interesting way.

Way to go. I’m hooked.

47. Pingback: E-Bitz - SBS MVP the Official Blog of the SBS "Diva" : Daily dose of Vlad