Mac OS X, OWA 2007, Public Folders

Apple, Awesome, Exchange

Own Web Now legal strongly recommended that I do not publish this blog post on our corporate blog to answer a question from Diana, Amy Babinchak’s techie. Personally I don’t see what’s wrong with it, if you see a problem with it please let me know. ๐Ÿ™‚

Put on the thick gloves, this one is going to get dirty. I would like to preface with the fact that most Mac users are dirty unemployed losers, so the odds that a Mac user would see this article, or even be capable of reading, are slim to none.

Exchange 2007 Outlook Web Access includes the ability for users to access Public Folders in the rich version of Outlook Web Access. This feature is only available to the Microsoft Internet Explorer users 6.0 and better, you know.. business computers.

So what if you have a Mac? Well… You go browse myspace, upload a photo of your nipple ring to Facebook, maybe record yourself on your camera and share with your other middle school friends and after you’re done with that and grow up you get a real business computer one day? Cause you’re not getting Public Folders through OWA without paying for Entourage.

First, download a real web browser. Don’t worry, Disney’s Toontown Online will still work on your Mac, but the latest versions of Firefox will let you actually use your Mac for something useful. In the address bar type:

about:config

You will be given a nastygram about how doing this will void your warranty. Yeah. For the free software that comes with no guarantees or warantees of any kind. Do the math. My bad, I forgot that you paid twice as much as you should have for a computer.

Create a new string, called general.useragent.override. You will want to right click ๐Ÿ™‚

10-9-2008 12-52-00 PM

If your brain didn’t explode looking for the right button on your retard mouse/touchpad, just hold Ctrl down when you click. De-de-de.

Set the value to: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0b; Windows NT 6.0)

10-9-2008 12-53-17 PM

That’s all there is to it. You still have a Mac so you’re still required to ride the short bus to school But you now have Public Folders.

Now you have more than just a shiny toy.

My name is Vlad, and I’m a PC.

* Believe me, this is the clean version.

19 Responses to Mac OS X, OWA 2007, Public Folders

1. Samantha E says:

So I can’t hire sales people but we’re just cranking out more work for lawyers? ๐Ÿ™‚

Please… stop… stop blogging.

Back to monkey beatings.

2. Mark Crall says:

Where were you in Seattle during our Virtualization presentation? It had Vlad written all over it! I had way too much fun at Dave Sobelโ€™s expense picking on his MAC fetish. Iโ€™m pretty sure he was wearing a thong during that presentation. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Samantha,

Don’t we have like a week long backlog on provisioning across like half the product line? ๐Ÿ™‚

Mark,

Oh, I believe it. I wish I was there to do the Rodney Dangerfield skit about Mac users.

Oh my mac is so bad, I tell you.. It’s so bad it _____.

You can’t fight with Dave about Mac’s though, he doesn’t fight back. Go to the Apple store and talk to a genius. That’s a real place to get some action. “So…. you’re a genius making $10 an hour. How big of an idiot do you have to be to actually believe your job title?”

4. Diana says:

Thanks Vlad, I am PC too and I like PC.

5. Diana says:

So … how do you beat someone who doesn’t fight back?

6. Dave Sobel says:

And who’s demo worked… and who’s demo didn’t?

Oh, right… mine worked on the Mac, and yours didn’t work on the PC.

7. Diana says:

By the way… I was at the presentation and it was a lot fun watching the MAC vs. PC battle ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Pingback: How can I put new content on the Zune pc software?

9. Vincent Carwell says:

ROFLMAO

Did you try to pack a punch in every paragraph or is that just a lucky coincidence.

10. Wayne says:

It’s like watching Parliament on CSPAN. Under the respectful and cordial behavior are insults packed with sarcasm and mockery.

Though if there was an award for the most entertaining KB article of the year this would surely win it.

Good job!

11. Spoken like a true iPhone user. ๐Ÿ™‚

“My name is Vlad, and Iโ€™m a PC.”

Man, PC could stand for a lot of things. I think you just opened that door wide.

12. Chris Knight says:

For people who don’t like to type, go use User Agent Switcher.

13. hk135 says:

Erm, after reading your rant, and partially agreeing with it, this hack didnt work… Sure i can see the Public folders but the interface is broken

Just thought you should have some actual Comments about this. And if you want to listne to someone slag something off, Zero Punctuation comes is out there.

14. Leslie says:

This didnt work for me either?

15. Leslie says:

Okay it worked after I upgraded to 3.5.7 but now i see the folders yet cannot access content of the folders Firefox is just hanging there.
    Im a PC user Helpdesk trying to get this to work for our many board of directors who are all mac users.. any help.. thanks

16. Raquel says:

Hi vlad, Thanks for the tip on firefox, I added the string and am able to logon to OWA public folders. I can se the Public folders list, but that’s it. clicking the “+” to expand the folders doesn’t work, neither does clicking anything else. Any ideas? I’m using Mozilla 4.0.

Thanks!
    R

17. Firefox says:

Thanks!
    Raquel Moreno

18. Leon says:

firefox 3.6, doesn’t work, login works, but thats it.

19. Frances Young says:

I tried this on my pc in Firefox and it didn’t work. Do you know if there is a work around for Firefox users on a pc?
    btw, I’m totally with you. Great writing.