WGA & Homicidal Tendancies

Microsoft

Untitled document

Last night I made a quick post about a tool called RemoveWGA with hope that I can shed some light on one of the most disappointing Microsoft moves in recent history. It is interesting to see how WGA works under the hood and address exactly what is being passed back and forth. Is it spyware? Well, read the page. While I have not been affected by WGA at all I never imagined how big of a deal this was for partners and customers. Frankly, I like the concept of pirated systems getting busted for doing what they do and hunted down by their "clients". Sure I got a ton of calls about it but I get a ton of calls about everything, it's the nature of what I do. But very rarely do I ever get a call where the other person is screaming at the top of their lungs to the extent that the speaker in the phone can't handle the volume. Thats the new kind of pissed I have not heard in quite some time, brought to you by WGA.

So the WGA thing. Great concept. Horrible implementation. And this got personal quick and it hit really close to home for quite a few of you. Click here to read the 17 comments on the post and pay particular attention to the comments made by Ramon. I sincerely hope nobody reading this will ever have that kind of experience. But if you think my visitors are raving lunatics then you need to look at Microsoft's own WGA boards. I have not seen anybody lose it so quickly outside of LUG flamewars. You will find this thread in particular very disappointing and perhaps telling of why this software is still so bad and why it infuriates so many.

Oh well, their software, their license, they can do what they want to assure its genuine. But let me offer you a bit of PR, software developer and CEO advice all rolled up into one: When your customers are telling you that your software sucks, when you put the reputation of your partners on the line with your bad software, when you've nailed people with a beta product without properly informing them of its status and when you've received over 1200 reports where people take issue with your software.. you sit back and you say you're sorry and you tell them what you're doing to fix it. You don't moan about how people only talk about the negative aspects of your software, you look at the bad stuff and you fix it.

P.S. Does anybody know if Phil Liu is at 1 Microsoft Way? I think I have a book I'd like to send him and his boss.. Folks, I realize you are in a big company and you need a permission when you want to go to lunch 15 minutes early. But if you're facing this kind of a PR nightmare and you need to seek approval to talk to your customers and partners… you might want to get out there while there are still some willing to listen to you.

11 Responses to WGA & Homicidal Tendancies

1. Scott says:

Amen brother, amen. I too would like to hear how they intend to make this better, not just hear that things are great and only a few things are going wrong none of which are WGA’s fault but someone elses.

2. Edgar says:

Interesting site, it claims that most issues are with other Windows components. Interesting… What I still want to know is why we were not given a head start like web based genuine or just decline updates to computers that fail it. Instead they basically put spyware/nagware on their legitimately licensed customers.

Check this post out:

3. Mike White says:

Q about that forum site…

Is this what Robert Rebholz was talking about on the SBS Show? How they are replacing newsgroups with the board site?

Looks pretty neat.

4. Aaron Smith says:

So whats the solution here? We’re not supposed to use RemoveWGA and have a forum of Microsoft WGA developers/support that will help us figure out why their software is not working?

I’m sorry Vlad but how is this not a beta product? I don’t care who you want to give a book to or who you think needs to apologize nor do I want to hear from these people. I just do not want to have my system compromised by Microsoft which is whats happening here.

5. Aaron Smith says:

Also, this is not just my pain but a huge concern that they are not addressing these problems. Which means that the pultry 10% they quote is going to keep on showing up. I just want a fix. Either that, or provide a WGA Removal tool of your own that I can run once my copy is proven to be genuine.

6. Mike says:

Wow,

After looking through the links to Vlad’s prior announcment, all the comments there, all the comments here, and looking at the Microsoft boards, wow is all I have to say.

I have yet to deal with this issue personally, but the lack of qualified answers from Microsoft are not surprising to me. The idea that an MVP on the MS boards keeps answering with a different way of say “Microsft doesn’t care about your concerns” is troubling but not surprising. Most MVPs that I have delt with seem to be that way.

The fact that Susan brought up Ramon’s issue and herself is getting the runarround is disturbing also.

And Microsoft wonders why it is looked at as an evil creature by so many. Maybe if it actually cared about the “Service” it provided then it would be looked at differently.

Maybe we all need to start putting more pressure on MS together, instead of witing for the next guy to do it.

7. WGA Failure says:

Phil Liu, the MSFT forum moderator of the Microsoft WGA Validation Problems forum is regularly censoring postings and banning posters from that forum. Even though he purports to be the Microsoft technical support person for WGA validation problems and is the one who posts the most, he has rarely helped anyone with their WGA Validation problem. When he can’t fix the problem, he either ignores it or tells the problem poster that they are mistaken about it being a WGA problem. When anyone is logically critical of Microsoft, he doesn’t discuss, he deletes the posting and, sometimes, bans the poster. Way to go Microshaft!

8. If you look, “WGA Failure”, they’ve helped more than many a users, legitimate or not.. You probably were doing something offensive.

9. Vlad, you can send it to that address. It will be forwarded to me and routed appropriately.

-phil

10. Sophie says:

Well Phil Liu barred me from the WGA forum for simply asking awkward (But legitimate) questions.

Will the questions I asked ever be answered by Microsoft? I think not.

11. Sophie says:

It gets better, seems my MSDN membership has been stopped as well, Thanks to Phil Liu. So when he bans angry customers from the WGA forum, the Ban is more widespread it would seem. I suppose he will be banning paid subscribers as well, While of course not allowing refunds.

Are we going to find de-activations of people’s computers if Phil gets a little upset next?