Key updates in Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 include:
- Windows Mobile 6 feature support o Information Rights Management activation
- Automatically configure the Windows Mobile 6 device to open IRM-protected documents and files o HTML mail
- Set up your Windows Mobile 6 device to sync HTML-formatted mail
- Certificate Enrollment – Acquire certificates through the PC the Windows Mobile 6 device is currently connected to
- Allow data connections on the Windows Mobile 6 device when connected to the PC
- File synchronization for smartphones – Synchronize files with your Windows Mobile 6 devices, including both touch screen and non-touch screen devices
- Automatic device authentication – Connect the Windows Mobile device to the PC without the need to enter the device-lock PIN every time upon connect
- Product Registration – Register your Windows Mobile device and get connected to information and offers available for your device
I’ve bold faced the features that are absolutely huge! Using a WM6 device (MDA, Wing) with WMDC is a frustrating ordeal because authentication is requested at every step if you’re simply trying to use it as an Internet gateway. God help you if a call comes in, now you get to authenticate two more times, and say goodbye to the Edge connection if you’re connecting to the PC. Well, that has been fixed.
I picked up some AWESOME tips from the guys in the Mobile booth at TechEd. They (and embedded) are our neighbors in the messaging TLC so I’ve been spending the idle cycles over on their side playing with the phones and talking about development and such. Made sure to voice many of the concerns with development, signing and publishing (Mobile Marketplace stuff) and checking out all the awesome theatre presentations. Today is the second Mobile Demo Extravaganza and Ask the WM Experts session with Jason Langridge, the #1 Microsoft Mobile blogger.