Windows Home Server Woops City

Windows Home Server

It is quite a masterful act to take one’s foot out of his mouth and his head out of his …

But Windows Home Server is going to make me do just that; Something fairly severe has come up on the radar, something that I’m afraid makes Windows Home Server quite useless. Microsoft has identified a number of circumstances under which files on the home server may become corrupt, something that is pretty much unforgivable given the product primary function and promise being data integrity and protection.

In light of this issue, and in the light of there being no immediate fix, I recommend you unplug your WHS now. I have unplugged mine. Sorry, data integrity is paramount when it comes to protecting your family’s digital memories.

11 Responses to Windows Home Server Woops City

1. Jim A. says:

WHS isn’t a real server, but intended for first timer home users. However, WHS is being sold as OEM but is still an on-going beta version.

Just boot up WHS in VMware (virtual machine) to see what I mean, because you will see Windows Server 2003 instead, with a very limited WHS console that requires much needed third party add-ins, if even available.

Just like Vista, you will want to stay away from WHS, as both are needing many patches, repairs and most of all, better code. Nobody should RISK all their backup files and data.

Why would Microsoft use obsolete Windows Server 2003, instead of 2008 here? Seems one hand doesn’t know what the other hand is doing at Microsoft.

Jim,

Now, I wouldn’t go that far. I am guessing 2003 was the choice because they wanted to ship the product sooner than later.

I don’t know about the beta comment either, they did make a ton of modifications to bring things like duplicated storage, etc to the plate. It is all about reasonable expectations – I don’t expect things like bandwidth, email, etc to be reliable. But files stored and backed up that end up corrupted? There is no excuse for that.

File servers and data guarding needs to be solid. I understand if the backup failed. But if my storage got corrupted on a redundant storage array, that is the product I cannot trust my data with.

3. Susan says:

Use that KB to test your data.

Unless your data has alternative data streams as part of it’s output you won’t see this issue.

I’ve seen a few folks on the boards report this, but it’s not widespread enough to be in panic mode, Vlad.

(and for once the senile person didn’t have to request the password she forgot)

4. Susan says:

Why Windows 2003? Lighterweight for one. And it’s a released product for another is why.

Thanks for the KB Susan 🙂 Susan mentioned in the chat that you can use the later KB article to check for presence of alternate data streams so you can tell if you’re affected.

It’s not panic mode, it’s that there is a product out there that I’ve told people to check out and I don’t want them to risk losing all their family memories because Microsoft guys need to take last two weeks of the year off instead of fix the problem.

6. Susan says:

Unless you know for certain that they aren’t working actively on it and have gone home, isn’t your comment a bit speculative?

The earlier KB is dated October by the way. The good news that they have a repro. As you know, having a repro is the sign that they can better understand and fix the problem.

Susan,

Ok, I’ll grant you that its speculative, but this same thing happened a year or two ago around this same time of the year – was it the wmf issue? Microsoft seems to be an 11 month company.

To me, this is an “unplug” level of severity. Unlike email that you can resend, financial records that you can get from other areas, etc, there is no way to retake the pictures and videos of some of the happiest times you’ve had on this planet.

Microsoft sells that piece of mind with WHS, and right now its saying its not willing to stand behind it by not having it fixed the moment they had it reproduced.

And for the record: I got no beef with Microsoft and them taking the month off. More power to them, I wish I could do that too.

It’s software development, shit happens, you fix it when you get some time and can resolve any other conflicts the fix may make. Fair enough.

I am not Microsoft, I am not a WHS developer, I am just a user who told others that this is the solution that will keep their files safe and secure, moreso than their laptop or workstation. Obviously, I was wrong, and this post was a correction. I have unplugged my WHS and will keep my backups direct from home computers.

9. Susan says:

And I happen to know for a fact that there were engineers working on WMF over the holidays.

No speculation Vlad.

Unplug your WHS, but no cheap shots, okay?

Never! I am the kind of cheapshots.

Patch or it didn’t happen.

Seriously, this is showstopping, unplug the server kind of a bug and there is no fix or indication of them working on a fix. If they are, they have a blog, they ought to do something to reassure their custmer base.

At worst, they are not working on fixing it because its a bug like any other. At best, they just suck at communication.

I am not holding my breath, server off.

11. Susan says:

“Second, our development team is working full time through the holidays to diagnose and address this issue. We will keep you posted on our progress on this issue as soon as we have more to share.”

You read the blog right? What sort of communication do you want?