Hackintosh upgrade to Mac OSX 10.5.2

The other day Apple pushed up the 10.5.2 upgrade, which meant another exciting day of hacking around the Mac to figure out how it works. I’ve blogged about building the hackintosh, upgrading it to 10.5.1, and here is how you move to 10.5.2:

1. First download the 10.5.2 dmg from Apple.
  2. Open up terminal and su to root: sudo -s
  3. Execute the following command and let the process work in the background while you launch the installer: while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done
  4. Proceed with the installation, when its done it will give you an option to reboot the system. Don’t. Go to the terminal and end the process above by hitting CTRL+C.
  5. Type: sudo nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1
  6. Replace the text “Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext” with “dsmos.kext” (it is towards the bottom of the file.
  7. Reboot and at the boot manager screen press any key and pass -s flag to boot in the single user console mode.
  8. Type: /sbin/fsck -fy
  9. After it’s done reboot and you’ll be in Mac OS X 10.5.2

If you neglect to do steps 7 and 8 your system will reboot into the grey spinner screen and be stuck at it forever.

Other Notes

Don’t install the Leopard Video Driver Updates, they really break a lot of stuff. Also, Leopard 10.5.2 feels a LOT slower than 10.5.1 at least in my limited use of the PC as a digital picture frame.

I still find MacOS X to be a fairly useless as a platform in general. You can only launch a single instance of an application (not kidding) which means you can only run one copy of Firefox or one copy of terminal. This is incredibly limiting for any actual use beyond hobbyist that works on one thing at a time (or has plenty of time to keep on launching additional windows or from the terminal) – so while it can launch multiple windows, they all still run under the same instance – and when that instance bails, so does everything else.

However, it is SSSOOO pretty! (written with a lisp and a limp wrist flip)

10 Responses to Hackintosh upgrade to Mac OSX 10.5.2

1. Jim says:

Could you explain to me what it is you find most offensive about me? Is it that I don’t need to run multiple instances of an application (http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+os+x+launch+multiple+instances) often? Is it that I like attractive things? Or is it that I’m a fag?

I’m not sure where your anger comes from, but it’s hurtful.

All of those, but most of all it’s the one you didn’t name – stupidity. Your Google search points to exactly what I quoted as idiotic, spawning processes from terminal:

“or has plenty of time to keep on launching additional windows or from the terminal”

Go put some ice on it.

3. BondoMax says:

It seems that you are running your system with Dual-Core enabled. Set the Bios to single core. Then you will be able to run multiple apps!

With mine, I can play movie, searching the web, and editing a song from Garage Band all at once.

4. BondoMax says:

to your comments about “useless”. I use my MacBookPro at work versus my co-workers with Windows laptops. They are complaining that their system:
    1. is booting up a long time. Mine boots within 46 seconds.
    2. Windows loaded another patch and my program does work. HA-HA!
    3. Damm, got hit with a virus again. LOL on Mac.
    4. My Internet Explorer crashed! again and again. Safari RULES!

A good geek friend once said, “Why do you want a system that always work? When you can have Windows that will surprise you every minute. Macs are boring…”

Yeah, I am still laughing at my friend when I see him pulling his hair on Windows Errors.

5. Melville says:

I’m pretty sure it would take you longer to start a new instance of Firefox than it would to just open a new window or tab. I don’t understand why this is a problem for you unless you crash Firefox or Terminal on a regular basis.

6. Jeremy says:

Your obvious confusion of launching multiple processes and running multiple programs simultaneously / multitasking really paints you as the stereotypical Mac idiot that regergerates decade old “Mac is better but I have no idea how other platforms work”

Might want to give Vlad a bit of credit here, as much as he obviously hates Mactards, he is trying the platform out. I sure don’t see anything of value in it. Good to see Mactards have not evolved any over the years.

7. Pingback: Dear Mrs. Vlad: - The Official Blog of the SBS "Diva"

8. Pingback: Dear Mrs. Vlad: - MVPs

9. Steven Moran says:

How the rest of the tech world feels about Vista.

Leaving OS X aside for the moment, Vista isn’t good enough to lick the bottom of the shoes of XP. Everyone knows it and we are just waiting until Windowss “7” comes out.

I was reading through your other articles and came across references to you hating “Mactards”. I do find it more than a bit ironic that your a huge Wintard yourself but can’t see it. XP or OS X, anything but Vista. Please God, anything but Vista.

10. sudipc says:

Thanks a lot.
    Worked – for upgrade from 10.5.1 to 10.5.6!!
    The only problem is that the PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard are not working. So using a USB mouse and the soft-keyboard.